Monday, February 14, 2005

Marketing Speak: Jargon Begone!

OK, i'm back from St. Pete's, Russia; the trip was great, the team-building was successful, and now I'm back to talk about marketing blunders.

Today's Topic: Marketing Jargon - who are these people talking to?

Example Number One: Overture
"With a range of products and a breadth of expertise, Overture's Partner Business & Solutions Group offers companies customized solutions that deliver unmatched monetization for their Web sites. "

Now I believe that the introductory paragraph on any of your website pages should clearly and quickly explain exactly what you can do to help your customer. Especially if you are talking about a solution you can provide. From this intro paragraph, can you tell me:
a) Who is the target market?
b) What does Overture do for the target market?
c) What do they want me to do next?

I think the answer to C is obvious: They want me to read on, in hopes that I can find out exactly how they will help me. Perhaps this intro paragraph is designed to pique my curiosity. But frankly, I don't want to read on, because even though i'm a marketer, I'm already bored.

The answer to B is perhaps in there somewhere, and i think it could sound like this:
"Overture helps your website make money. Period."

The answer to A? Yeah... uhh.... it's pretty specific: "companies". That's like Porsche's website saying something along the lines of: "We're targeting people who drive cars, trucks, and vehicles".

Now of course, I fall victim to this as well (once in a while :) And it looks something like this:

"Omea Pro is a product-class defining solution that makes it easy for professionals with a lot of information, to organize and act upon that data in ways that are difficult or impossible using traditional folder hierarchies, email software, web browsers, and RSS readers."

Let's look at the three questions I tackled earlier:
a) Who is the target market?
b) What does Omea Pro do for the target market?
c) What do they want me to do next?

Answers:
A) The target market is "Professionals with a lot of information". Yeah... not exactly the most specific. I could've done better.
B) uhhhhhhhhhhhh..
C) uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... read more?
(My personal favourite quote from this quote is "product-class defining solution"... it just says so much.... :)

So this is the question: Does sounding like a marketer help your target market identify with your product or service? What if your target audience IS marketers?

I think the answer is NO. Though it sounds "professional", i think the potency is lost, unless you are trying to build interest through confusion.

Technorati Tags: marketing communication web content design

10 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Elizabeth Braine said...

Great blog!

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog containing a reference to jargon. Can you understand it all - wa cant so we made a jargon buster directory that anyone can add to or use to bust their own encountered jargon. Keep it all plain english I say. Best regards and keep up the great postings.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger cash at home said...

Hi, I did not realise that blogs could be so informative. I have been browsing and reading all

day -- Very addictive. I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my

href="http://www.domaincity.ws/BlogSubmitterPro.htm">seo blog
related site. It isnt

anything special but you may still find something of interest.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Internet Marketer Azhar said...

Hi :)

You have a great blog! I'll make sure to visit regularly.

If you want your blog to get higher in search engines, why not try Link Metro, you can over 100 new links to your blog every single day, for FREE!

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very impressed by your blog, It is full of great information. I found it by searching for " seo copywriting " on Google.

I have started a blog directory and would like to personally invite you to post your blog. Its free and will help you in your search rankings.

if you have any questions email me at admin@big3post.com and I will get back to you within a 24 hrs.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My big passion is internet marketing seo, or better, not only internet marketing seo.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Home Based Business Work said...

Delightful blog. I devote my spare time just
looking for great blogs such as yours. I treasure this
site and will go back!
Sweetie, go and search my home based business opportunity idea blog for what you need.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://rnxygncl.com/yimx/kjgz.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://yvsncglu.com/eabv/eute.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://rnxygncl.com/yimx/kjgz.html | http://hupnuear.com/mciy/bqxw.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home